1. Information You May Provide Directly to HHMI
It is always your choice, or the choice of anyone acting for you, whether to provide personal information, such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address or other information about yourself or data which can be reasonably linked to such information by us (“Personal Information”).However, in order to obtain certain materials and services from us and to use certain features of the Site, you will need to provide us with Personal Information about yourself, so the decision not to provide this information will limit or eliminate your ability to receive certain materials or use certain features of the Site.
For example, to order educational items, you will need to register with HHMI by creating a password-protected user account. As part of this registration process, you will be required to provide your name, mailing address, e-mail address and other information about yourself. In a similar fashion, to subscribe to e-newsletters or to submit feedback regarding the BioInteractive web pages, you will need to provide certain information about yourself, such as your e-mail address.
2. Information We Collect That You Do Not Provide
3. How We Use Your Information
In general, we use information we collect on our Site to pursue our mission and operations and to engage in the activity for which the information is collected. Specifically, we may use your information to:
- create, maintain and manage your account, communicate with you about the Site and respond to any questions or requests;
- communicate with you regarding our mission, programs and activities;
- process and track your orders and provide the materials and services you request;
- fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- analyze visitor feedback and track site usage data in order to make improvements to the materials, services and features available on the Site and for other internal purposes. For example, we may compare visitor numbers from different geographic locations inside and outside the U.S., assess interest level in specific HHMI publications and webcasts and modify editorial content based on visitor numbers and occupation;
- recruit participants for possible HHMI focus groups and studies;
- comply with the law or the good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform with the requirements of law or to comply with legal process served on us; and
- undertake other activities in accordance with your consent.
Subject to applicable law, we reserve the right to make all lawful, worldwide uses of collected information.
4. Disclosure of Personal Information
We will only intentionally share your Personal Information with third parties under the following circumstances:
- we may share Personal Information with affiliates, partners, contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our mission and operation;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provided the Personal Information or for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide Personal Information. For example, to process order requests, your name and mailing address will be shared with HHMI's order fulfillment company, and if you agree to participate in an HHMI focus group, we may provide your Personal Information to the consulting firm we engage to help us perform the study;
- to comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- as a result of a reorganization process;
- in aggregated or other non-personally identifiable form (For example, we may publish aggregate information about the number of visitors from different geographic locations to specific parts of the Site.);
- to respond to a request from a recipient asking who sent materials to them (subject to applicable law); or
- in accordance with your consent.
5. Your Choices and Retention of Personal Information
6. Information Security
We use reasonable technical and organizational measures to protect the Personal Information received from visitors to the Site from unauthorized use or disclosure. Unfortunately, HHMI cannot guarantee the privacy of any Personal Information that you provide. If we are required to provide notice of unauthorized access to security systems, you agree that we may do so by posting notice on our Site, by email, or by regular mail, in our discretion.
8. Third Party Sites
The Site is a general audience website, and we do not knowingly collect information about children under age 13 years old through the Site. Visitors who are 13 or under should get permission from a parent or legal guardian before using the Site and should not submit any Personal Information. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information from a child under age 13 other than in a manner authorized by law, we will delete that information from our database.
11. Contact Us
This policy was last updated on Juy 7, 2016.