HHMI is a recognized leader in biomedical research. Discoveries made in HHMI labs are advancing our understanding of the natural world as well as some of society’s most vexing health problems, including AIDS, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes.
The largest privately funded science education initiative in the United States, HHMI's grants program is enhancing science education for students at all levels, from the earliest grades through advanced training. Grants awarded by HHMI fit within two general categories: research grants for individuals and science education grants for institutions.
Priorities in Science Education
Our work can be grouped into five strategic themes:
- Building authentic research experiences
- Creating competency-based curricula
- Preparing K-12 teachers to teach inquiry-based science
- Fostering diversity in science
- Providing Apprentice-based research experiences
Visit our searchable database of awards in science education.
View our research and science education funding policies.