As part of HHMI’s broader compensation package, we offer eligible employees a variety of benefits programs. Our goal is to provide both breadth and depth of benefit options, in a way that is affordable and comprehensive.
- Medical Care: A choice of three medical options that cover the same services and provider network, but with varying levels of employee premium contributions and out-of-pocket costs to fit individual needs.
- Dental Care: The Delta Dental plan has above-average coverage limits and covers routine, basic restorative, major restorative, and orthodontic services.
- Vision Plan: The VSP plan covers routine eye exams and has allowances for lenses and frames or contact lenses.
- Health Savings Account (HSA): Employer contribution to a health savings account for employees enrolled in the high-deductible medical plan.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Tax-advantaged accounts to pay for eligible health care (medical, dental, vision) expenses.
- Telemedicine: Conveniently access medical, behavioral health, and nutrition providers, and lactation consultants through virtual visits.
- Retiree Health Plan: Medical, dental, and vision coverage for eligible retirees. Includes employee assistance program (EAP) coverage and access to Health Advocate services.
- Retirement Savings Plan (403(b)): Employees can make voluntary pre-tax contributions or post-tax Roth contributions of eligible pay, up to annual IRS limits.
- Employer 403(b) Contribution: Eligible employees receive a 10% employer contribution based on regular earnings that is immediately vested.
- Core and Supplemental Life Insurance: Employer-paid core life insurance at 1 times annual regular pay and options to select supplemental life insurance up to 7 times annual regular pay.
- Dependent Life Insurance: Options to purchase life insurance for an employee’s spouse/domestic partner or children.
- Core and Supplemental AD&D Insurance: Employer paid core AD&D insurance at 1 times annual regular pay and options to choose supplemental AD&D insurance up to $500,000.
- Disability Coverage: Employer paid short-term disability for up to 180 days (includes 6 to 8 weeks recovery from childbirth) and group long-term disability.
- Paid Family Leave: Up to 4 weeks of paid leave in a rolling 12-month period for employees who need time away to care for family members in certain situations.
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account: Tax-advantaged accounts to pay for eligible child and elder care services.
- Commuter Benefits: Commuter spending accounts that may be used to pay for eligible transit and parking expenses.
- Core and Supplemental Long-Term Care: Insurance to help when more care is needed to manage daily living activities.
- Business Travel Accident Insurance: Employer paid insurance protection for individuals on business travel for HHMI.
- Qualified Emergency Disaster Relief Program: Individuals affected by a qualified disaster may request reimbursement to cover reasonable and necessary expenses (up to $3,000 per household).
- Financial Wellness Resources: Access to financial education and counseling resources to help achieve financial goals.
- Associate Supplement: Annual supplement for eligible postdoctoral Associates to spend on health care, retirement, childcare, or other personal use.
- Employee Educational Expense Reimbursement Program: Covers up to $10,000 each calendar year for approved tuition, books, and fees.
- Health Advocate: Support for health insurance questions and navigating personal health care situations.
- GuidanceResources EAP: Employee assistance and counseling services for managing life, health, money, and work.
- Adoption Expense Reimbursement Program: Covers up to $5,000 in adoption expenses for each child an employee adopts.
- Personal Time Off (PTO): Up to 25 days per year for rest, relaxation, or other personal reasons.
- Holidays: 15 paid holidays, which include 1 floating holiday and a 5-day winter break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- Sick Time Off (STO): Up to 12 days per year to address medical needs or to care for a family member.
- Other Paid Leave: Bereavement, Civic (includes time off for voting, jury duty, and witness service), and Military leave options. Additional paid leave may be available under applicable laws.
- Family/Medical Leave: Unpaid job-protected leave for an employee or family member’s serious illness or following the birth or adoption of a child.
- Employee Discount Program: Corporate discounts and incentives for a variety of goods and services.
- Well-Being Programs: Quarterly online and on-site activities that encourage employee well-being.
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
Disclaimer: Benefits vary based on eligibility criteria under HHMI plans and programs and legal requirements. HHMI reserves the right to unilaterally, at any time and in its discretion, amend, supplement, modify, or eliminate any or all its employee benefits plans or programs and any of the benefits described.