This activity explores conservation biology topics presented in the short film The Guide: A Biologist in Gorongosa. This film tells the story of Tonga Torcida, a young man who discovers his passion for science in the newly revitalized Gorongosa National Park in Mozambique.
- NGSS (2013) LS
- MS-LS2-4, MS-LS2-5, HS-LS2-6, HS-LS2-7
- NGSS (2013) ESS
- MS-ESS3-3, MS-ESS3-4, HS-ESS3-4
- AP Biology (2012-2013)
- 2.D.1, 2.D.3, 4.A.5, 4.A.6, 4.B.3, 4.B.4
- IB Biology (2009)
- G.3.3, G.4.3, G.4.4
- AP Environmental Science (2013)
- Themes: 1, 4, 5, 6 Topics: II.A, II.C, IV.D.3, IV.D.4, IV.D.5, VII.C.1, VII.C.2
- C3 Framework for Social Studies State Standards
- D2.Eco.15.9-12, D2.Geo.5.9-12, D2.Geo.6.9-12, D2.His.14.9-12
211Short FilmsThe Guide: A Biologist in GorongosaThis film is set in war-torn Gorongosa National Park in Mozambique, a protected area that has been the subject of a large-scale restoration project. The film tells the story of a young man from the local community who discovers a passion for science after meeting world-renowned biologist E.O. Wilson.