1. Ownership and Use of the Content
All of the content featured or displayed on the Site, including, without limitation, all text, graphics, photographs, images, animations, video, podcasts, music, software, applications and other materials (“Content”), and the selection, coordination and arrangement of such Content, is owned by HHMI, HHMI’s licensors or other providers of such material and is protected by copyright, trademark, patent and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by HHMI.
You may download and display for educational purposes the free resources made available on the BioInteractive pages of the Site (www.hhmi.org/biointeractive) (“BioInteractive Resources”). The BioInteractive Resources may not be used for any commercial purpose without the express permission of HHMI and all other copyright owners. Except as permitted below for the Image of the Week Image Content, the BioInteractive Resources may not be republished, redistributed or otherwise disseminated beyond your institution or organization without the express permission of HHMI and all other copyright owners.
BioInteractive Image of the Week
You may download, reproduce, distribute, publish, display and share the images, including all related text, contained on the Image of the Week pages of the Site (“Image Content”) solely for not-for-profit, educational, or public information purposes (e.g., blogs, new stories, or articles), subject to the following restrictions and conditions:
- You may not create derivative works based upon, modify, or otherwise alter, any Image Content;
- As described in the Proprietary Rights Notice section below, you must keep intact all copyright notices for the Image Content and provide appropriate attribution to the original author or, if another party is designated in the copyright notice, such party;
- HHMI may terminate or modify the rights granted with respect to the Image Content at any time; and
- You may use images available on Image of the Week separately from any of the accompanying text.
Other Downloadable Content
You may download the Content made available on other pages of the Site that is indicated on the Site as available for download for your personal, non-commercial use.
Restrictions on Use; Permission Requests
Permission requests for Content on the BioInteractive web pages should be sent to email@example.com.
Permission requests for all other Content (including photos and illustrations) displayed on the Site should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must keep intact all copyright notices and provide appropriate attribution to the original author or, if another party is designated in the copyright notice, such party.
The HHMI names and logos, including Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHMI, Janelia Farm Research Campus, Janelia Research Campus, JFRC, BioInteractive, Tangled Bank Studios, and all other trademarks used on the Site are owned by HHMI or their respective trademark owners. Except as expressly permitted under any additional terms posted on the Site from time to time, you may not use any such marks without the prior written permission of the owner.
3. Image of the Week Submissions
By uploading or submitting an image you:
- grant to HHMI and its affiliates a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to: (a) display, distribute, reproduce, publish and create derivative works based upon, the submitted image (“Image”) and any text or other content that you provide in connection with the Image (collectively with the Image, the “Submitted Content”), in whole or in part, in any medium now existing or subsequently developed, for not-for-profit, educational or public information purposes, and for the promotion and advertising of HHMI’s image feature and other resources and features of HHMI or its affiliates, and permit consultants and contractors of HHMI and its affiliates to exercise such rights on behalf of HHMI and its affiliates and (b) permit users of the Site to display, redistribute, reproduce, publish and share the Submitted Content, in whole or in part, in any medium now existing or subsequently developed, for not-for-profit, educational or public information purposes;
- represent and warrant that: (a) you are the owner of the Submitted Content and the copyright therein (or if you are an HHMI employee, you created the Submitted Content in the scope of your employment and have not assigned rights in the Submitted Content to another person or entity), (b) you have the right to grant the rights set forth herein, (c) you have obtained all necessary third-party releases, and (d) use of the Submitted Content by HHMI and its affiliates as permitted will not infringe the rights of any third party;
- represent and warrant that you are at least 18 years of age;
- acknowledge that HHMI is not obligated to feature any submitted Image on the Site; and
- agree that HHMI may post your name and contact information so that others may contact you regarding your submitted Image.
4. User Feedback
By submitting feedback to us through the Site, you agree that such feedback is not confidential and grant to us the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, publish, reproduce, modify, adapt, edit, translate, create derivative works from, incorporate into other works, distribute, sub-license and otherwise exploit such feedback throughout the universe in any form, media or technology now known or hereafter developed.
5. Linking to the Site and Social Media Features
You may link to the Site so long as the link does not suggest any association, approval or endorsement on HHMI's part and does not otherwise violate the rights or policies of any third party.
6. Links to Other Websites
Links to other websites and resources provided by third parties contained on the Site are provided for your convenience only and do not indicate any endorsement by HHMI. HHMI has no control over the contents of those websites or resources and you agree that we have no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
7. Prohibited Uses of the Site
To access portions of the Site, you may need to register with HHMI by setting up an account. When creating an account, you must provide accurate and complete information, and you are solely responsible for your use of the account. You agree to keep your password secret and to not use any other person’s account to access or use the Site. If you discover or suspect that another individual is making unauthorized use of your account information, you must immediately notify us.
9. Additional Terms and Conditions
We reserve the right to terminate your use of any or all of the Site, including, but not limited to, your account, or terminate or cancel this agreement, at any time with or without prior notice. You agree that we shall not be liable to you or any third party for termination of your access to the Site. We also reserve the right to withdraw or amend the Site without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason all or any part of the Site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
12. No Warranties
YOUR USE OF THE SITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITL E AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. NEITHER HHMI NOR ANY PERSON ASSOCIATED WITH HHMI MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPLETENESS, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY OR AVAILABILITY OF THE SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER HHMI NOR ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH HHMI REPRESENTS OR WARRANTS THAT THE SITE WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT THE SITE OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS OR THAT THE SITE WILL OTHERWISE MEET YOUR NEEDS OR EXPECTATIONS. IN CERTAIN STATES, THE LAW MAY NOT PERMIT THE DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMER MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
13. Limitation on Liability
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLIABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL HHMI, ITS EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS OR TRUSTEES BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SITE, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABLITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, ALL OR A PORTION OF THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
You agree that we may give all notices we are required to give by posting notice on the Site, by email, or by regular mail, in our discretion, including, but not limited to, required disclosures, legal notices, and all other communications.
The Site is operated by:
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
4000 Jones Bridge Road
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Except as set forth above for particular communications, all feedback, comments, requests for technical support and other communications relating to the Site should be directed to the HHMI Webmaster.