- Students must be in their first or second year and in good standing at a medical, dental, or veterinary school located in the United States.
- Students cannot be enrolled in a combined medical, dental, or veterinary/PhD program (e.g., MD/PhD) or PhD, or ScD program, or have a PhD or ScD in a laboratory-based biological science.
- Students must be able to conduct full-time research for at least eight consecutive weeks (10 weeks preferred).
- Students cannot have already received an HHMI Summer Medical Fellows Program award, or an award from any year-long research training program.
- Students may not be enrolled in regular coursework or clinical rotations during the fellowship.
- Students may not concurrently receive funding from another source for summer research.
- If the applicant is not a U.S. citizen, he or she must provide evidence of eligibility to participate in this program by the award acceptance deadline.
- Previous laboratory research experience is required. Applicants should have one or more substantial research experiences (e.g., summer or part-time).
- Payment of $5,000 for 10 weeks ($500/week for less than 10 weeks) of full-time research
- Roundtrip relocation allowance of up to $1,000 if fellowship is not at the student's school
- All application materials are submitted online. These include:
- Applicant’s components (including brief research proposal)
- Mentor’s components
- Dean’s confirmation
For further information on application requirements, see the Summer Med Fellows Program Information PDF.