Initiative for Colleges
HHMI awards four-year grants to colleges (baccalaureate and master's institutions) to support science education at the undergraduate, K-12, and community college levels.
Competition Schedule and Announcement
- Registration deadline: May 12, 2011
- Proposal deadline: October 4, 2011
- Awards notification: May 2012
- Grant term starts: September 2012
The competition is now closed.
Only invited institutions are eligible to apply. Invitations are based on an institution's classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a baccalaureate and master's institution and on the institution's record of postbaccalaureate student achievement in the sciences. HHMI also considers each institution's record of preparing students from groups underrepresented in the sciences to pursue scientific careers.
To identify institutions invited to participate, HHMI conducts assessments covering the most recent 10-year period for which data are available. Institutions are assessed on the basis of the percent and absolute number of graduates from each institution who have
- Matriculated in medical schools (data source: Association of American Medical Colleges)
- Earned doctorates in biology (data source: National Science Foundation)
- Earned doctorates in chemistry, physics, or mathematics (data source: National Science Foundation)
Please note that HHMI does not encourage and rarely funds unsolicited proposals.