Medical Research Fellows Program
YEAR-LONG PROGRAM AT AN ACADEMIC INSTITUTION OR NONPROFIT RESEARCH INSTITUTION
Eligibility, Financial Support, and Application Process
- Student in good standing at a medical, dental, or veterinary school located in the United States
- Do not have to be a U.S. citizen but have to be eligible to work with an appropriate visa
- Cannot be enrolled in a combined medical, dental, or veterinary/Ph.D. program (e.g., M.D./Ph.D.) or Ph.D., or Sc.D. program, or have a Ph.D. or Sc.D. in a laboratory-based biological science
- Stipend of $29,000
- Research allowance of $5,500 for research-related enrichment activities (Med Fellows regional events, HHMI investigator meetings, scientific conferences), research-related books, and some research-related costs
- Fellow’s allowance of $5,500 for health, dental and vision insurance, education-related expenses and moving expenses (up to $1,500 roundtrip if research is at an institution other than the student’s school)
- If you are funded by one of our partnership initiatives, you will receive the same level of support and have all of the privileges as the other Fellows in the program.
- If you are not matriculated at your school during your research year, HHMI can complete education-related loan deferment forms for you.
- Discuss your plans with the registrar and financial aid office at your school.
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply online at: www.hhmi.org/competitions
- All application materials submitted online:
- Applicant’s components (including research proposal)
- Mentor’s components (and co-mentor, if applicable)
- Dean’s confirmation
- Two reference letters
- If you are interested in the areas of research supported by our funding partners, the application process is the same. You do not need a special designation in the application; HHMI will identify your application for consideration for one of these awards.
For further information on application requirements, see the Program Information and Application Tips PDFs.
- August 25, 2012 — Online application opens
- January 11, 2013, 2:00 p.m. ET — Application deadline
- March 15, 2013 — Award notification via e-mail
- March 29, 2013, 3:00 p.m. ET — Award acceptance deadline
- Summer 2013 — Fellowship begins between May 1 and September 1