Medical Research Fellows Program
SUMMER MEDICAL FELLOWS PROGRAM
Eligibility, Financial Support, and Application Process
- First or second-year student in good standing at a medical, dental, or veterinary school located in the United States
- Cannot be enrolled in a combined medical, dental, or veterinary/Ph.D. program (e.g., M.D./Ph.D.) or Ph.D., or Sc.D. program, or have a Ph.D. or Sc.D. in a laboratory-based biological science
- Must be able to conduct full-time research for at least 8 consecutive weeks (10 weeks preferred)
- Cannot have already received an HHMI Summer Medical Fellows Program award, or a one-year award from any year-long research training program
- May not be enrolled in regular coursework or clinical rotations during the fellowship
- May not concurrently receive funding from another source for summer research
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must provide evidence of your eligibility to participate in this program by the award acceptance deadline of March 25, 2013.
- If you are in the U.S. on a student visa, you must have your home school authorize Curricular Practical Training by the award acceptance deadline of March 25, 2013.
- Payment of $5,000 for 10 weeks ($500/week for less than 10 weeks) of full-time research
- Roundtrip relocation allowance of up to $1,000 if fellowship is not at your school
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply online at: www.hhmi.org/competitions
- All application materials submitted online:
- Applicant’s components (including brief research proposal)
- Mentor’s components
- Dean’s confirmation
For further information on application requirements, see the Summer Med Fellows Program Information PDF.
- November 1, 2012 — Online application opens
- February 15, 2013 — Application deadline
- March 18, 2013 — Award notification via e-mail
- March 25, 2013 — Award acceptance deadline