- HHMI NEWS
- SCIENTISTS & RESEARCH
- JANELIA FARM
- SCIENCE EDUCATION
- RESOURCES & PUBLICATIONS
BROWSE ALL RESOURCES
BY TYPEAnimation (3) Book/Manual (4) CD (1) Classroom Activity (12) College Course (6) Curriculum (11) Game (1) Kit (1) Lab (9) Lesson Plan (5) Publication (23) Software (3) Tutorial (5) Video (24) Website (47) Wiki (2)
BY TOPICBiochemistry (14) Biodiversity (3) Bioengineering (3) Bioethics (3) Bioinformatics (8) Biology (104) Biotechnology (9) Cell Biology (3) Chemistry (17) Earth Science (1) Ecology (9) Engineering (1) Evolution (10) General Science (15) Genetics (29) Genomics (13) Immunology (2) Infectious Diseases (1) Life Science (65) Mathematics (9) Medicine (6) Microarrays (5) Microbiology (3) Molecular biology (34) Neuroscience (7) Physics (5) Plants (2) Professional Development (35) Research methods (12) Science Communication (2) Systems Biology (1)
BY GRADE LEVELK-16 (1) 4-8 (1) K-5 (6) Medical School (6) K-3 (2) K-8 (2) K-12 (9) 6-8 (18) 9-12 (52) College (101) Graduate (21)
This easy-to-navigate Emory University website, designed like a textbook with chapters, sections and quizzes, explains the complex biology of cancer and contains extensive information about cancer detection and treatment options. All material is supported by full references and links to the primary literature. An 11-minute narrated animation describes how the body develops cancer. Videos of current cancer research seminars offer information on a wide range of topics in cancer biology, translational research, and cancer treatments. Other videos use 3D graphics to demonstrate techniques used to detect breast cancer and other types of cancers. CancerQuest also includes cancer-specific resources, such as a skin cancer curriculum. In addition, the website features interviews with patients and contains interviews with scientists on topics such as psychiatric oncology, computer-assisted drug design, and individualized medicine.
Program Director: Patricia Ann Marsteller, Ph.D.
Award Years: 1989, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006
Summary: Emory University is a private research university in Atlanta, Georgia. Its HHMI-funded initiatives include:
- The introduction of new interdisciplinary courses and approaches that have helped reform the undergraduate science curriculum;
- The SURE (Summer Undergraduate Research at Emory) program, which has placed and mentored more than 1000 students since 1990 and acted as a catalyst for an international research program;
- The HHMI Curriculum Development Fellows program, which gives selected graduate students and postdocs the chance to help develop new courses, problem-based learning materials and supplemental instruction for introductory biology, chemistry and mathematics courses;
- The formation of collaborative communities of current and future faculty, undergraduate students and high school teachers to improve science education in metro Atlanta schools; and
- The development of Web-based interdisciplinary curricula, such as CancerQuest and Cases Online.