TV & Film Production
Full Time (40 hours/week)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Head of Television and Film
The senior producer is responsible for developing broadcast television specials and series about science from initial idea through greenlight, and for overseeing production of greenlit hours through completion. He or she engages directly with outside producers to evaluate their ideas, support their work and provide editorial guidance, and works closely with the Head of Television and Film to achieve editorial excellence in the production of science documentaries. Title will be dependent on experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Editorial Development: Takes a lead role in identifying and developing promising ideas for specials and series, working with both producers and scientists to create initial outlines, proposals and treatments. Works with Production Operations to ensure that budgets reflect the realities of treatments. Works with Head of Television and Film to develop project pitches for potential partners.
Preproduction and Production: Helps to organize scientific advisor conferences as appropriate. Reviews shooting scripts, style guides and graphics plans prior to shoots. Works with producer to ensure that science stories are outlined fully and clearly, and confers with scientists and advisors to ensure that all science sequences are well conceived prior to shoots. Coordinates with colleagues in Educational Resources Group to ensure that plans for classroom films are factored into production. Reviews dailies as they come in, spots problems and provides feedback accordingly.
Post-production: Reviews and comments on assemblies and pre-rough cuts. Ensures that rough cuts and fine cuts are screened on a regular and ordered schedule. Collates comments in ensures they reach producers in a timely and helpful manner. Works with Head of Television and Film on final script and picture lock. Ensures all matters of factual accuracy are dealt with responsibly. Coordinates legal review as necessary. Provides guidance and sign off on music, narration and final graphics.
Fiduciary: Responsible for a minimum of three hours greenlit and three hours delivered per year—on time, on schedule and on budget.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, or related experience. Background in science is an asset.
- A minimum of eight years experience in overseeing production of high quality documentary films, including significant experience in the science genre.
- The ability to understand scientific literature in order to be immersed in the science content underlying films, coupled with a knack for presenting that material in accessible, television-friendly terms.
- Excellent research and writing skills, including the ability to write effective treatments and edit film scripts.
- Visual creativity and excellent story-telling ability.
- Detailed knowledge of the production process, from development through delivery.
- Excellent people skills, with the ability to work closely with production managers, graphic designers, producers, scientists and others who are key to the production of outstanding films.
- The ability to help producers do their best work without doing it for them.
HHMI is an intellectually demanding, results-oriented organization with excellent benefits. Interested applicants should apply via the link below. Submit a resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements and highlights elements of your experience, skills, and/or personality that make you a good fit for the position.Principals only, no phone calls please.
Open Until Filled