Full Time (40 hours/week)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Manager, General Accounting
At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world's largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. and beyond. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Accountant to join our headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD.
In this position, the Senior Accountant will apply comprehensive knowledge of accounting principles, concepts, practices, and standards in performing duties related to preparing and analyzing financial information to record transactions, prepare reports, and review for accuracy. As a member of the General Accounting team, this position will be responsible for ensuring efficient, timely, and accurate completion of investment accounting deliverables, including monthly, quarterly and annual close responsibilities.
- Compile, review, analyze, and record financial information in the general ledger for the operating and/or investment ledgers.
- Analyze and process information from the custodian (investments), research and resolve discrepancies by using custodian reporting software or other resources, including contacting the Institute’s Investment department and custodian personnel as necessary. Record monthly endowment investment transactions received from the custodian in the general ledger.
- Prepare various monthly accounting analyses including the preparation of the derivatives report, daily cash reports, and other ad hoc investment reports. Analyze reports, on-line data and other documentation to identify and resolve discrepancies.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations in a timely manner and ensure general ledger account information is accurate, complete, consistent, and auditable.
- Complete monthly and quarterly closings, analyze data, and review results with upper management.
- Prepare statements of position, statement of operations and changes in net assets, and statement of cash flows for the Investment Ledger and any related supporting schedules or other reports.
- Prepare and review investment analytics, management reports, and other ad hoc requests received from management and senior leadership.
- Analyze, check and present financial accounting information to managers and leadership.
- Conduct research and analyses and be able to communicate results in a well-written memorandum.
- Assist in managing the external audit activities at interim and at year-end.
- Assist in preparation of annual financial statements and footnotes, financial reports and other reports or analyses for executive management, or third parties.
- Keep up-to-date on new accounting pronouncements related to the Institute’s industry and determine if there is any impact to its financial reporting or accounting treatment of investments. Inform management of their impact as appropriate.
- Assist where needed with the upgrade, reinstall or implementation of ERP/financial system, including review of current accounting processes, to ensure the Institute maintains efficient and enhanced reporting capabilities.
- May perform additional duties as assigned
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree accounting
- CPA or CPA in progress preferred
- Four to seven years of experience with US GAAP accounting principles (financial services preferred)
- Knowledge and experience with investment-related concepts
- Working knowledge of computer-based financial accounting systems such as PeopleSoft Financials
- Experience working for the Big Four accounting firms would be a plus
- Effective analytical, problem solving, and verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong command of MS Excel and the ability to effectively use pivot tables
- Exercise considerable independent judgment and have the ability to apply theories, principles and concepts to analyze problems and attain resolutions
- Ability to effectively foster and maintain collaborative relationships with others at all levels within and outside the Institute
- Demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset when executing processes and procedures for general accounting and other projects.
- Provides leadership and coaching to team members other than through a direct supervisory role.
HHMI is an intellectually demanding, results-oriented organization with excellent benefits. Interested applicants should apply via the link below. Please upload a resume and a cover letter that includes salary requirements and highlights elements of your experience, skills, and/or personality that make you a good fit for the position. Internal candidate application deadline: May 2, 2014. Principals only, no phone calls please
Open Until Filled