Full Time (40 hours/week)
University of California, Davis
At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world's largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. and beyond. We have an opportunity for a Laboratory Manager to join one of our laboratories at University of California, Davis.
In this role, you will manage the day-to-day operations of a research laboratory. The lab currently comprises 12 members including postdoctoral fellows, research scientists, graduate students and technicians. Typically, 5-15 undergraduate interns also work part-time in the lab. Research in the lab focuses on understanding the mechanism and regulation of homologous during meiosis using a variety of approaches including yeast molecular genetics, mouse models, cell biology and biochemistry (http://www.hhmi.org/research/ecs/hunter.html; http://microbiology.ucdavis.edu/hunter/). You will act as liaison between the lab, HHMI, and U.C. Davis on issues involving purchasing, budget management, fixed asset inventory, and compliance. General duties include: budget and spending oversight; cost analysis of research projects, oversight and maintenance of essential equipment, purchasing materials and supplies, delegating responsibilities among laboratory staff and general lab maintenance.
- Ordering lab supplies
- Oversight of mouse husbandry to ensure efficient and cost-effective management of medium-sized mouse colony
- Manage lab safety and compliance programs including mandatory training of all lab members
- Oversee management of the laboratory collections of protocols & procedures, strains, plasmid and other reagents
- Working with the investigator to direct and assist students and postdoctoral fellow on their individual projects to ensure efficient utilization of resources
- Train students and technicians in a variety of laboratory procedures
- Supervise the lab assistants and technicians to maintain the organization and smooth running of the lab
- Assist lab members with experiments
- BA, BS, MS or PhD in Biological or Natural Sciences
- 3-5 years related technician or laboratory management experience
- Candidate must be self-motivated, energetic, able to solve problems and work in a diverse laboratory environment
- Excellent organizational, communication, computer and record-keeping skills
- Experience in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology and Mouse Genetics
Please email a cover letter and three references with your resume. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Open Until Filled