Campus & Conference Services
Full Time (40 hours/week)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Sr. Director, Campus Services
At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world's largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. and beyond. We have an exciting opportunity for an Associate Director, Campus Services to join our headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD.
In this position, the Associate Director is responsible for the successful operation of consolidated hospitality services at both the Headquarters and Janelia Farm (Ashburn, VA) locations. He or she will manage a mix of in-house and contract staff in providing conference services, food and beverage services and travel support services. The ideal candidate will lead staff to manage the operation in an effective way while meeting the varied needs of internal and external customers at two local campuses, and occasionally in remote field locations.
Functional oversight includes conference center operations, food service operations and travel services. Specific services in the portfolio include campus reception, hotel, conference planning, food and beverage outlet operations, catering, housekeeping, fitness center management and convenience store. The Associate Director assists the Senior Director, Campus Services in developing strategy to meet overarching goals -- such as maintaining right-sized services that effectively meet existing needs, delivering high quality services that exceed customer expectations, promoting innovation within each service group and developing staff to be self-directed and engaged in the mission of both the Campus Services division and that of the Institute as a whole.
- Develops and implements strategic plan and budget to provide consolidated hospitality functions at both campuses and travel services to the entire Institute. Provides competent and nimble oversight of operations that change in response to the varied needs of the programmatic departments.
- Manages operational budgets by monitoring expenses, establishing and maintaining cost control programs, monitoring budget variances, and taking corrective actions as necessary.
- Develops benchmarking metrics and key performance goals for all operational areas to assist managers in measuring performance, productivity and effectiveness.
- Manages service contractor selection processes when appropriate, negotiates terms and conditions with contractors, and governs contractor performance through established key performance indicators (KPIs) to ensure high quality, cost effective delivery of services.
- Directs the daily operation of both campus hospitality services functions including all associated service contractors. Coordinates with service contractors to ensure appropriate service levels are delivered by contractor staff at all times. Ensures customer service is seamless despite overlapping responsibilities of HHMI staff and service contractors.
- Directs conference center operations at both campuses that service frequent onsite conferences of up to 250 participants. Ensures that conference center managers provide efficient and high quality housing, housekeeping and catering services year-round at both campuses. Directs coordinated use of both campuses to accommodate onsite meetings as may occur from time to time.
- Directs the food services functions on both campuses. Ensures that food service managers provide a high level of customer service in all dining environments. Ensures adequate internal controls and high quality service and food. Works with food services managers to ensure varied, healthy and nutritious food program. Maintains an efficient cashless purchasing system for employees and guests in the dining room and pub. Ensures appropriate coordination between food services contractor, meetings staff, and facilities staff.
- Directs the fitness center services at both campuses. Ensures that the fitness programs meet employees’ and guests’ needs and that services are provided with a high level of quality and innovation.
- Directs the guest reception function at both campuses to ensure all employees and visitors are properly greeted and that their needs are effectively met by a competent first-responder and host.
- Trains staff on customer service skills and develops staff to be competent and self-directed. Coaches managers to maintain open and collaborative work groups that support engaged and empowered staff. Provides critical feedback and development opportunities to managers to help them fulfill their full potential as leaders within the Institute. Champions innovation and ways to improve the operation while ensuring the staff has the tools and support they need to be successful in their roles.
- Collaborates effectively with other functional departments and represents the Campus Services division in cross-functional projects as assigned. Able to represent the needs of the Campus Services group in cross-functional meetings while also supporting the larger goals of the Institute. Able to discern priorities for the Campus Services group without significant input from Senior Director. Able to own projects from inception to implementation without significant input from Senior Director.
- Support the Senior Director, Campus Services as needed and perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 3 years experience in hotel general management or other similar operational leadership role.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in hotel food and beverage and / or conference management preferred; related experience will be considered if skills are transferable into hospitality role.
- Demonstrated experience in managing operational budgets, developing metrics reporting and productivity.
- Demonstrated experience training and developing staff at all levels and across varied functions.
- Experience in project management
- Experience in managing the activities of outside contractors and in negotiating contractor agreements.
- Ability to effectively interact with people at all staff levels within and outside the Institute
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to handle all types of situations
HHMI is an intellectually demanding, results-oriented organization with excellent benefits. Interested applicants should email (in one document) a resume, salary requirements and a cover letter that highlights elements of your experience, skills, and/or personality that make you a good fit for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the job title in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Open Until Filled