Full Time (40 hours/week)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
VP & General Counsel
At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world's largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. and beyond. We have an exciting opportunity for a Manager of Legal Operations to join our Office of the General Counsel (OGC) at our headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD.
In this position, the Manager of Legal Operations will manage the administrative operations of the OGC to ensure that the OGC functions effectively in support of HHMI’s mission. He or she will supervise administrative personnel; oversee office budgeting and financial matters; oversee office systems and equipment; implement workflow and other process improvements; represent OGC on interdepartmental task forces on administrative matters; and coordinate special projects.
The ideal candidate will possess strong organization and have a proven record of leadership. He or she should be technology savvy, flexible, a team player, and have a real desire to make a difference in a world-class organization.
- Supervise OGC administrative support staff. In addition to providing leadership and direction, this includes completing performance evaluations for support staff and scheduling coverage for their tasks and assignments during support staff vacations and other absences.
- Manage budgeting and financial reporting for the OGC. This includes ensuring that the annual OGC budget is prepared on a timely and accurate basis, that actual spending is monitored against budget and potential overspending is addressed or explained; overseeing approval and payment of OGC invoices; and ensuring that OGC responds promptly and accurately to requests relating to budget forecasts and other financial office matters.
- Represent OGC on interdepartmental task forces and similar groups on administrative issues, in which OGC is participating as an operating department as opposed to providing legal advice. This includes task forces or similar groups on such matters as, for example, disaster recovery or emergency response, or selection of new HHMI-wide tools for budgeting or financial reporting.
- Oversee OGC information technology (IT) systems. This includes taking the lead within OGC on the selection and implementation of new systems and upgrades or enhancements to those systems, in coordination with all OGC attorneys and staff who use the systems and with HHMI’s IT group.
- Oversee OGC’s IT equipment. This includes ensuring that periodic or other necessary maintenance, replacement, and upgrading of OGC’s IT equipment is coordinated smoothly with OGC attorneys and staff and with HHMI’s IT group.
- Oversee OGC’s electronic and paper recordkeeping and records management.
- Suggest workflow and process improvements within OGC and work with OGC personnel and others to coordinate smooth implementation of agreed-upon improvements. Coordinate the documentation of OGC procedures as appropriate or requested.
- Ensure that OGC prepares appropriately for new OGC employees, including by making sure that orientation and training are provided.
- Work closely with General Counsel on office-wide initiatives and planning long-term projects. Coordinate OGC special projects, as requested by the General Counsel.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business administration or other related discipline.
- Ten or more years of professional experience; five or more years of management experience.
- Experience working in a legal office or working closely with lawyers.
- Has highest ethical standards.
- Has excellent organizational, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Takes initiative to work independently or collaboratively as the situation may require.
- Works accurately, efficiently, and with strong attention to detail and follow-through.
- Maintains knowledge of, and applies equitably and consistently, HHMI policies relevant to areas of substantive responsibility.
- Interacts effectively and professionally with all OGC and HHMI personnel and with representatives of other organizations such as host institutions, providers and vendors, and others.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information handled by OGC.
- Handles multiple matters simultaneously. Prioritizes tasks appropriately, with input from the General Counsel as needed. Able and willing to learn to handle new areas and projects as necessary.
- Maintains a positive professional environment within the office including in times of change.
- Seeks ways to accomplish the functions of the OGC with higher quality and greater efficiency.
- Manages records of all types in accordance with HHMI records retention policy and office records retention schedule.
- Is proficient with office technology, currently including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel. Is familiar with and able to use basic features of Adobe Acrobat Standard. Able and willing to learn other information technology tools as requested.
HHMI is an intellectually exciting organization with excellent benefits. Interested applicants should email the following (in one document) to firstname.lastname@example.org: a resume and a brief (one page limit) cover letter that includes salary requirements and highlights elements of your experience, skills, or personality that make you a good fit for the position.
Please include the job title in the subject line.
Principals only. No phone calls please.
Open Until Filled