Temporary (40 hours/week)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
HHMI has a new opportunity for a Payroll Specialist to join our Payroll department at our headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD. This position serves as a key contributor in the payroll group and maintains a high level of integrity and confidentiality in performing his or her duties. The ideal candidate will provide critical payroll support and analysis to meet the needs of the institute’s payroll team. This is contracted temp to perm position.
As the Payroll Specialist, you will be part of a dynamic and talented team of professionals. The individual that serves in this role is a subject matter expert ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of all payroll processes by reviewing procedures and trends, analyzing problems, recommending solutions and assisting in the implementation of new processes. He or she will be responsible for regularly processing over 3,000 payroll checks/direct deposits per pay cycle.
The ideal candidate will possess a high level of expertise in domestic and foreign national taxation. They will update, maintain and analyze payroll records, as well as maintain and review foreign national tax records to ensure proper withholding. The specialist will generate and review reports, file payroll tax returns, reconcile general ledger accounts. Strong analytic, problem-solving and communication skills are required to provide a high level of customer service to internal customers and external contacts.
- Update, review, and analyze payroll information in an in-house automated payroll system to ensure timely and accurate processing of over 3,000 payroll transactions on a semi-monthly basis. Payroll information includes time reports, state withholding certificates, deductions, and special payments such as educational reimbursements, severance, relocation allowances, accrued PTO.
- Maintain, review, and analyze foreign national visa and tax related data in a separate database, GLACIER, to ensure proper determination of foreign national employee’s tax status, and proper tax withholding.
- Process off-cycle payments to employees in a timely manner to ensure compliance with state regulations.
- Generate and review system-generated tax reports. Process payroll tax and unemployment claim reimbursement payments and file payroll-related tax returns in accordance with the laws and regulations of the taxing authority including the issuance of annual reports (W-2’s).
- Respond to inquiries and resolve payroll related issues from Regional Offices, Human Resources and individual employees received through the AskPayroll help desk and other means. Educate employees on newly updated changes in Payroll and assist in transition to new requirements and regulations.
- Perform reconciliation on payroll bank account, and payroll general ledger accounts.
- Review and analyze notification received, due to bank mergers and/or invalid account information, from various banking institutions to ensure data integrity in the payroll system.
- Identify potential operational and system enhancements that would help streamline payroll processes and increase efficiency and effectiveness. Work independently and in team environment to perform analysis and feedback to the issues at hand.
- Review terminating employee’s final pay and prepare overpayment analysis, if necessary.
- Prepare and scan payroll documents into the electronic data system (ImageNow) to ensure confidentiality.
- Prepare and process bank and vendor interfaces to ensure successful and timely data transfer to bank and third party vendor.
- Generate, review, and analyze various reports to ensure data integrity. As necessary, modify report criteria to meet new operational requirements.
- Participate in Payroll-related projects; perform research and interact with third parties as required.
- Bachelor degree in accounting or equivalent work experience required.
- Knowledge of payroll procedures, general accounting, and federal, state, and foreign national taxation.
- Three to four years payroll and tax related work experience; knowledge of state tax requirements and IRS regulations related to payroll.
- Minimum four years using an automated payroll system; PeopleSoft/HCM 9.1 preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills, with a demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet and anticipate frequent deadlines in a timely manner and manage situations from start to finish.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively express ideas; ability to build relationships and effectively interact with employee and external contacts regarding HHMI policies and other payroll-related issues.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify critical issues with ease and deliver knowledge and information in an intuitive, informative, and well-organized manner to HHMI employees and external contacts.
- Highly attentive to details.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage tight deadlines and schedules. Must be self directed and demonstrate initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Demonstrated ability to create, deliver and maintain a high level of customer service and responsiveness.
- Proficient with MS office. Advanced Microsoft Excel skills required.
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter (in one document) explaining your qualifications, interest in the position, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Internal candidates must apply by Friday, November 1st.
Open Until Filled